The best quality inflatable bed for kids
If, like me, you are putting travel cots behind you and entering the new arena of portable beds for toddlers and young children, I advise you to look no further than this toddler travel bed by the Shrunks which is consistently Number 1 on Amazon, and for good reason.
Unfortunately I did look further, to the local toy shop, for my son’s first portable bed. He was invited last minute for a sleepover and due to time pressure plus his very persistent pester power, we bought a Finn McMissile blow-up bed, basically a big bed-shaped balloon with a picture printed on it. It wasn’t cheap either, $50!! He slept OK on it, but it really isn’t very comfortable, it’s not something you’d want your kids sleeping on long term. So as we had a big trip abroad coming up, we decided to bite the bullet and get a proper toddler travel bed.
Choosing was easy! Compared to the research necessary to get the right travel cot, travel beds are way simpler – there’s a lot less dangers to watch out for or extra features you’re going to want, plus there’s way less brands out there.
The Shrunks Tuckaire Toddler Bed was the obvious choice for us for the following reasons:
1. It’s really comfortable. I guess it’s similar to the Finn McMissile disaster in that it’s also a blow up bed but the Tuckaire is designed so you can consistently sleep well on it. The inner mattress (brown bit in the middle) has a grooved quilt-like surface so your child’s weight is distributed evenly. It’s got a lovely soft velour feel so you could sleep directly on it, though you’re better putting a sheet down so you don’t have to wash it every time.
2. Your child will feel secure. The raised edges at the side (the white bit) mean your child won’t fall out if they’re tossing and turning, they’ll feel enclosed and snug.
3. You can tuck in sheets, hence the name “Tuckaire” I presume. I think this is the main reason mums love it so much. There’s a depression between the brown mattress and the white outer bit with loads of room for neatly tucking in a sheet and a blanket as well if necessary.
4. It blows up fast (about 30 seconds) with an electric pump you plug in so there’s no huffing and puffing. It also includes a foot pump if you want to take it camping or somewhere you won’t have access to electricity. (It also includes a repair kit.)
5. It’s great for travel. It’s really light and folds up compactly in to a cool little bag you can sling over your shoulder. We saved a fortune on hotel costs with this travel bed as we booked a double room and set up Junior on the floor beside us, rather than having to book a triple.
6. The materials are safe, officially Phthalates-safe, BpA-safe and Lead-safe.
Here’s a short video from Shrunks to get a feel for it:
Read more on the Shrunks web site
VIEW THE SHRUNKS TUCKAIRE TODDLER TRAVEL BED
Weight: 6.6 lbs (3 kg)
Inflated size: 60 x 37 x 9 inches (152 x 94 x 23 cm)
Approximate deflated size: 16 x 7 x 7 inches (40 x 18 x 18 cm)
Age suitability: 2 years +
Maximum weight capacity: 150 lbs (68 kg)
Price: $79 or occasionally on sale for $69
4 Comments Add yours
Always a tough one when it comes to travelling – inflatable vs non inflatable. While inflatable is always smaller and lighter, punctures are always a potential nuisance.
I guess it depends on your travel destination Janesy.. not so much in a hotel room / soft carpet in a friend’s house but definitely could be an issue if camping. Thanks for stopping by! x
This sounds good alright. Did you get many years out of it?
Still using it Don! Depends on how tall your kids get I guess..